Transitioning

Hey Sistas, so many of us did the big chop and many of us transition to natural hair. I transitioned and it was ugly. I knew transitioning would not be easy and I would be tempted, but no one told me it was going to be that hard. 

I first tried going natural in January of 2015 but it was a fail. I threw a relaxer right in my head because I hated the way my hair looked; it was stringy and thin. I was trying to grow my hair back but it was at an awkward length and it just wasn’t growing fast enough. Prom came around in April of 2015 and I got a sew- in weave and relaxer so my leave-out would blend with my weave. I told myself after getting that sew-in for prom that I was never getting a relaxer again. I stuck to it and now I have been fully natural for 2 years. 

Transitioning was hard for me because I just did not know what to do with my real hair; so I decided to wear weave until I was comfortable with my natural hair. The thing about transitioning is you have to constantly get your ends trimmed until the relaxer is completely out of your hair. 

Transitioning was tough because I was wearing weave and you could see my real hair from the weave, because my hair was starting to turn natural. My hair would puff up but the weave would still be straight. I had major heat damage because I was flat ironing the leave-out so much. I had a friend tell me I should try a closure to go along with my weave so my real hair wouldn’t get damaged while I was transitioning. The closure helped tremendously.

I must say transitioning and becoming natural was the best thing I could have ever done. My hair is healthy, full, and shiny. Natural hair can be a hassle but it is healthier compared to a relaxer that it filled with harmful chemicals that can harm you in the future. Transitioning can be a monster but it is totally worth it in the end. There is so much versatility and freedom with being natural. Stay rocking those natural curls, Bye Sistas !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nighttime Routine

Q&A on Protective Hairstyles in College

Wash And Go